Aug 6, 2018

Press Release: Fear Of Not Being Paid Tops The List Of Reasons Britons Go Into Work Unwell

A recent UK study has revealed that as many as 9 in 10 Britons have gone into work when they’re unwell, with more than half of these admitting they did so as they were scared they would not be paid. What’s more, it was found that of those that went into work sick, three quarters (76%) revealed that colleagues were sick soon after them.

Although it’s important to rest when sick, the vast majority still head into work when they are under the weather; due to a fear they would not be paid or would get into trouble. The study also found that of those who go into work ill, four fifths (82%) admit to being unproductive when they do.

The team at conducted the research in a bid to find out more about Britons’ work habits when they are sick. A total of 2,320 adults, aged 18 and over from the UK, were quizzed as part of the study. All respondents revealed that they had a full-time job, which they’d worked in for at least 2 years, prior to the poll.

Initially participants were asked, “Have you ever gone into work sick?”, to which 9 in 10 respondents (92%) stated they had. When these respondents were asked why it was they had done this, the following five answers emerged as the most common:

1. I was worried I would not be paid – 51%

2. I was scared I’d get into trouble – 22%

3. I didn’t want to fall behind with my workload – 11%

4. I thought I could power through my illness – 9%

5. I had already called in sick too many times – 6%

Of those who said they had gone into work sick, three quarters (76%) admitted to researchers that colleagues of theirs had been ill soon after; potentially because of them passing their illness on.

Relevant respondents were next asked if they were productive when they did go into work feeling under the weather, to which 82% admitted they were not, with a quarter (26%) revealing that they were actually sent home.

Finally all participants were asked if they understood what their employer’s sick policy was, to which just 1 in 5 (22%) said that they did, with the remaining 78% stating they weren’t sure.

Louise Baker, Head of HR, at said:

"It’s worrying to hear just how many Britons are forcing themselves into work when they are clearly not well enough to be there. It’s important that more people fully understand their company’s sick policy and if they do feel like they aren’t guaranteed pay when ill, income protection is definitely something worth looking into. Besides the fact that going into work when sick could make you feel worse, prolong your absence from work, and you also risk making your co-workers unwell; something which clearly does happen according to our findings.”

Related articles

Jan 18, 2017

Press Release: New team at Holloway Friendly starts to take shape

Last summer Holloway Friendly appointed Stuart Tragheim as its new CEO.

Read more
Apr 13, 2017

Press Release: Insurance companies pressed to improve claims experience

Insurance providers are being called on to work harder to improve the claims experience for clients...

Read more
May 3, 2017

Press Release: Holloway Friendly adds Harwood to its Senior Executive Team

Paul Harwood joins Holloway Friendly as Finance and Risk Director and will oversee the risk management and...

Read more
Download acrobat reader